31 August 2016

* Smoky Sausage and Beans

I started this post with the pre-requisite "This Smoky Sausage and Beans.... yadayada" and got bored before the first punctuation mark. You can read the recipe then... maybe even cook it... to find out just how yummy it is, but it'll have to sell itself because today my legs feel like jelly  -which is far more important (and apparently affecting my ability to concentrate)...

... My legs feel like jelly because I walked a million miles yesterday in the pursuit of a Curly Wurly Thick Shake from The Terrace Cafe/Bar on Plymouth Hoe... and a packet of Cornish Clotted Cream Fudge from the Barbican.

After consuming both (and a panini - go me) within a one hour time slot I confess to feeling a little bit sick and a lot guilty. I hate feeling guilty about being indulgent - so I came home, knackered myself on the exercise bike then dragged my Boldest and her Bairn out for a bimble around the neighbourhood... then this morning I got on the exercise bike again.

In a minute I'm off out with Boldest, her Bairn and my Little Man for a stroll along the Cornish Coast from Lantic Bay to Polruan... where no doubt another panini awaits. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand upright by the end of the day.

If there's a fudge shop in Polruan I'm selling the bike when I get home.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Smoky Sausage and Beans

Serves 4
Syns per serving on Extra Easy - 1.5

Prep time - 10
Cooking time - 35 minutes
Total time - 45 minutes 

You will need
A large non stick skillet/frying pan.
A grill/broiler

Ingredients
Low Cal Cooking Spray (Fry Light)
12 Chicken Italia Sausages (I used Heck)
3 red onions - sliced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli powder
400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
400g/14oz can baked beans
400g/14oz can kidney beans - drained and rinsed
1 tbsp tomato puree
Sea Salt
Ground Black Pepper
Handful chopped fresh flat leaf parsley (optional)


Method
  • Grill the sausages under a medium heat until lightly browned all over. Place to one side.
  • Place the pan over a medium heat and chuck in the onions - spray with fry light and cook gently, giving the occasional stir for about 5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
  • Add in the cumin, coriander, paprika and chilli powder and cook for a few seconds more, stirring continuously.
  • Pour in the tomatoes, rinse the tomato can out with water (half fill it) and add that in too. Stir in the baked beans, kidney beans and tomato puree and bring to a gentle simmer. 
  • Place the sausages into the pan with everything else and cook gently for 20 minutes, remembering to give the occasional stir.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper, then garnish with the chopped parsley.
EAT!

NOTE: You can fry the sausages off in the pan, if you choose and remove them before putting the onions in. I chose not to because grilling them produced a better all over tan.

Adapted from Without The Calories - Comfort Food - by Justine Pattison.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...