25 August 2016

* Beef Rendang

This Beef Rendang has been lightened up by omitting the cooking oil at the beginning. It's a recipe that I adapted to be slightly more Slimming World Friendly and to suit my own taste buds. I've deseeded the chilli and added in chilli powder because it allows me more control over the amount of heat in the dish - but by all means leave the seeds in if you like the major burn that a fresh chilli can produce...

So... this could become a *thing* again (blogging). Well, for a little a while any way - at least until I spot a new shiny and chase it, whatever it may be.

I honestly thought I'd never blog a food recipe again - though I have kept my friends entertained (bored shitless) with photos of my experiments on my personal facebook page - I chucked all of my accumulated food props out when we moved home a year ago - including my beloved and much worn bread board that I used in the majority of my food photos. I also lost my beautiful desktop and pricey photo/paint program when The Little Man in our lives downloaded so much crap onto my pc that it kind of imploded.

He's not allowed on this one. It's not all singing and dancing like the last one... but if he breathes on it, I may kill him.

So... I'm going to *wing it* on the photo front for a bit and see how it goes - hopefully I won't put anything that resembles a pile of puke with rice, up for your perusal...

Oh... wait...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Beef Rendang

Serves 4
Syns per serving on Extra Easy - 4.5 if adding gravy, 3.5 without.

Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 35 minutes
Total time - 45 minutes

You will need
A large non stick skillet/frying pan with lid.
A food processor ( I used a stick blender with a processor attachment)

Ingredients
2 onions - peeled
6 cloves garlic - peeled
1 thumb size piece of ginger - peeled
30g/ 1oz bunch coriander/cilantro
1 red chilli - deseeded
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp ground tumeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
450g/ 1lb left over cooked beef - chopped/shredded (I used silverside from a roast dinner but brisket works too)
400g/14oz can of light coconut milk
Left over beef gravy (Optional)
Salt
Pepper
1 lime

Method
  • Put the onions, garlic and ginger into the food processor along with the coriander stalks and most of the leaves (just leave enough leafage for garnish), the fresh chilli, chilli powder, turmeric and cinnamon... and blitz into a paste.
  • Place the non stick pan over a medium heat and scrape the paste into it - there is no need for oil of any kind, the paste is wet enough to cook in it's own moisture - place the lid on top and cook gently for 15 minutes, making sure to give the occasional stir. The paste should turn from a bright grass green to a more golden colour.
  • Stir the beef into the pan along with the coconut milk, half fill the tin with water and add that too... and any left over gravy. At this point the sauce is very runny so leave the lid off for the rest of the cooking.
  • Add a pinch of salt and pepper, mix it in then leave to simmer gently for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the sauce is the thickness that you desire.
  • Finely grate the zest of the lime into the curry, then squeeze in half of the juice - leaving the other half to be cut into wedges for garnish along with any remaining coriander leaves.
  • Serve with basmati rice or cauliflower couscous and a dollop of fat free natural yogurt.

EAT!


Adapted from Jamie Oliver's book - Save with Jamie

2 comments :

  1. Glad to see you're back! This sounds awesome. I think I'll try it next week for dinner. I have a boat load of green beans and I think it would be great with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate! It's lovely with a bit of broccoli on the side too - hope you enjoy it xx

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...